Monday, December 2, 2013

What's in a name



The name of a person is more important to me than it is to the rest of the world. But one shouldn't judge people by their names, because names can be dangerously misleading.
For instance, my friend Swetha is called Swetha though she is very un-Swethaish. A Swetha is supposed to be quiet, serious and sober. But she is like a carefree, jumping rabbit.

Another friend is named Asha, though she has no traits of an Asha. Then there is Swati who is intriguing and not at all like the uncomplicated girl a Swati is expected to be.
May be, their parents named them wrongly. Or may be, they were named correctly, but they grew up to become something else, something they were not supposed to become, and quite incongruous to the way they were named.

But then reality, unlike fiction, does not always make sense. My college friend Sayan is aptly named, since he is outspoken, bold, popular and, at times, even impertinent and cocky, the way Sayans must be. My sister Chitra is super-intelligent and efficient and has lived up to her name magnificently. My brother Mohit too has carried the cross of being a Mohit in an exceptionally true manner- being ambitious and diligent that he is. My bhabhi Sonam too is graceful, sober, smart and silently intelligent the way her name entitles her to be.

Finally, I must congratulate my parents, or whoever named me, for naming me exactly the way I was named. A Ritesh symbolises goodness, cuteness, moderate intelligence, modesty and hidden greatness. On that count,   I have blossomed out into an appropriate Ritesh, though some of my namesakes have been too mediocre and unexceptional, thereby eroding the reputation of my name. The onus rests on me to continue to remain the torchbearer of a true Ritesh in its chaste and unsullied form, and with all the goodness intact, despite some inherent flaws which I humbly accept that I possess in the right amount.


PS- I am not being arrogant or pompous. It's just that  I feel that I have been named rightly.


22 comments:

  1. Nice study. Now I am analyzing names and personalities of all the people I know. However I think I am exactly opposite of my name :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Funny.. All the best fulfilling this enormous responsibility on your shoulders ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Revacious. Your aashirvaad is all i need :P

      Delete
  3. Hehehehe... My name is opposite to what I am. Saru tree is tall but you know, I am vertically challenged. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, in terms of reputation and talent, you are a giant :)

      Delete
  4. lol interesting observation. now u made me wonder about myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehehe think about my name...anything I can possibly be will be opposite of it I am sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol, that is a very fascinating observation :)
    Ps, I like my name too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are pretty much like a Bhavya, but there are shades of an Aakash and a bit of Vishal there

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Zooni zooni zooni zooni rabba ra zooni zooni param pa

      Delete
  8. Nice Post.. My name means Love, affection.. People tell me I am lovable and loving...Hehehe..I guess that means I am living up to my name...:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you are Peethi and not Preity, you are exactly what you are named.

      Delete
  9. Very interesting analysis. :)
    I can never be my name yet I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can spell yourself as Indrany, you and your name will suit each other well dear :)

      Delete

Oh, now that you have taken the trouble to go through my post, feel free to pen a few words- review, criticism or the much-loved adulation!

Share please

How many stars?